Friday, October 20, 2006

One week of blogging

To me, the most important part of blogging is trying to do it every day. Or at least to do it as often as possible. Well, I've managed to do seven entries in seven days but I cheated on Sunday (of all days!). I missed the Sunday entry and did two on Monday. Well, guess what? The earth kept spinning, my wife and kids still love me and the Hawaiian earthquake that day didn't cause as much damage as it could have. OK, I'll try not to miss a day again.

Today's entry is short and probably could have been skipped but I wanted to update two previous posts:

Monday, October 16, "Where's the 'Engineering' part?"
The paper towel holder modification I did is still there and working. And today, I noticed another holder of the same design in another part of the cafeteria that was showing the same problem. So, I made the same fix to that one. I've just gone into production. Now all I have to do is come up with a catchy jingle, some overly complex packaging and a confusing manual and I've got a product to sell. "Paper towel holder fixer - apply directly to the paper towel holder."

Thursday, October 19, "When co-workers leave, panic!"
I was wrong, our company is going to do a job search as soon as possible. It won't happen overnight and, really, you wouldn't want that. You want somebody new who is not just a talented engineer but who also "plays well with others". The guy we're losing is going to be very hard to replace. He is both a very good engineer and a very good person to work with. He is also a fine human being. It would be wrong to jump into the job search too quickly and take the first person that shows up.

I hope my entry tomorrow is more interesting.

No comments: