Monday, October 23, 2006

Update to an earlier post and hazardous waste

I didn't make two post on Sunday as I'd planned. I'd hoped to make some comments about a review I read about Richard Dawkins latest book but doing a review of a review didn't seem like a good idea when I sat down to do it. Maybe I'll read the book and then I can do my own review. Or maybe I should finish the earlier Richard Dawkins book I have a review that!

Anyway, I wanted to make a note about my "Is it a rule of the universe that there's always a downside?" entry. Well, once again I jumped the gun - I panicked - I didn't look before I leapt. After talking some more with the builders, we found that they did not really need the washer and dryer to be dug out of storage and installed right away. So, we had time this week-end to get rid of all the hazardous waste we removed from our old house and its garage by taking it to a town-sponsored hazardous waste collection site. My son and I loaded up the truck and took it and it turned out to be a somewhat pleasant experience. We always have a good talk when it's just the two of us. And I got lost so we had that to talk about, too. Then, when we got there, there was a huge line and a long (about a half hour) wait so we talked some more. When we finally got to the front of the line, they made it very easy for us. I was sure we were going to be questioned about each item and would be scolded for trying to bring some of the stuff to them. But it wasn't like that at all. They actually seemed glad to see us and were very helpful. We didn't have to do a thing. The only thing we had brought that they couldn't take were some small cylinders of propane that are used in small plumbers torches. Those we'll have to get rid of somehow else. But that was it. Once we got to the front of the line, we were done in about five minutes with a pleasant send-off and a smile as we pulled away. And now we don't have all that dangerous stuff sitting around.

No comments: