Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Trying to get started again

I can't believe I've let this go so long. My last entry was back in May. I was working on a new post but it was taking too long and I kept trying to edit it down. I'll post that some day (it is about getting a flat on my way to work one day).

There is not much to say today except for one thought I had after hearing a small fact stated (as a teaser for another program) on Morning Edition on National Public Radio: Most people in advertising don't listen to (or watch) ads. It seems they don't have much faith in their own profession. But this probably happens all the time. I'll bet there are a number of Aeronautical Engineers and workers who don't like to fly. There are a lot of Civil Engineers and construction workers who never ride on the roads or use the buildings they work on. And there are a lot of contract programmers and Electronics Engineers who never use the products they design for companies they only work at for a limited time.

But I wonder if this affects their work? I have always used the products I've worked on. I think it has helped me to get better at my job and helped make revisions and updates to the products better. Maybe we should be encouraging people who work on any product to use it at least once. Of course, there are limits to this. The people who work on the Space Shuttle can't all go up in it. And I wouldn't want to force an aircraft worker who is afraid to fly to have to fly in an airplane. And we certainly wouldn't want to force munitions designers and workers to use their products.

No comments: