Monday, January 19, 2009

Get used to it

One of the blogs that I read every day is Just Thinking... written by Earl Pomerantz. He is a real writer (as opposed to what I attempt here). His blog has been in my "Other Blogs" list for a while but I haven't written about it until today. His article today is entitled, "Conversation Stoppers". It's very good and the comments are good, too. As a matter of fact, make sure you take the time to not only read Earl's article but to look at the fifth comment (posted by "A. Buck Short" at 9:31 AM on January 19) for some really funny situations that leave a lot to your imagination.

But the reason I'm writing is that, as usual, reading Earl's article reminded me of a conversation stopper in my own life. As a husband, I sometimes disappoint my wife. It's only natural. We can't all be perfect and she realizes this. Most of the time, when I realize that I've caused her to feel badly, I'll go to her with a look as close to our hound dog Charlie as possible and apologize and she'll make me feel better by being understanding and saying, "That's OK."

But if I've done something really stupid or, to her thinking, indefensible, she will say, "Well, I've just gotten used to it." Wow. I have nothing to say after that. But then, nothing more needs to be said. Actually, after that, it's better that I don't say anything because I'm just going to get into more trouble. I know then that I've crossed the line. I then know exactly how she feels and that I'd better get my act together.

No comments: