Saturday, October 31, 2009

Equal time for Maple Leaves

The two previous entries on the fall colors here and here showed mostly oak leaves. So, here are some of the nice looking maple leaves (as opposed to the Maple Leafs) from the woods behind our office.

I always see acorns around but I rarely see maple tree seeds around (except in our gutters). I collect acorns and sometimes dream of planting them like the shepherd did in The Man Who Planted Trees (the text of the short story). It was later made into an animated feature.

I first saw the animated feature as a part of an animated film festival. I thought at first that it was a true story but it's not. It's still a wonderful story about a man who changes the lives of the people in an entire region by planting a forest one tree at a time. It really affected me not just for its optimism about how one person can make a difference but the animated feature is beautifully drawn. It's a style you don't see very often. The objects in the story are not as separated and distinct as is usual in animation. It made me think about how we are all part of the whole. We all affect each other for good or ill. We all have amazing power to help or hurt our fellow man. Let us all look to help each other as much as we can.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Boy, forgot about that movie. We should watch it again
cindy