Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween at work

Our office encourages people to dress up for Halloween. There is a doughnut eating contest and prizes for various categories of costumes. This year we got apple cider and danish pastries, too. I dressed up in my usual costume at the right. I use the same robe every year. It's funny to hear what people guess I've come as. Some say I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi, others say Gandalf. Still others think I'm a monk. I'm sort of like a Rorschach ink blot test. My costume is in the eye of the beholder.

Our family has mixed feeling about Halloween. As my wife points out, it started as a religious holiday but modern times have taken it far from that - sort of like what our modern society has done to Christmas. I don't like seeing people build up and glorify the evil in the world. But nice and good people are just too boring I guess.

As Philippians 4:8 says, "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I know you are a monk, because I am the nun
cindy