Saturday, February 27, 2010

Yet another birthday

I'm 59 today. I feel a lot better than I thought I would at this age. When I was a teenager, 30 seemed old and 40 seemed ancient. Only grandparents got older than 50 and they could barely move. Now I'm getting close to 60 and in a lot of ways, I've never felt better. I'm definitely happier than when I was younger.

Being married and having children has definitely helped. When I was single, I spent 99% of my time trying to get women interested in me and worrying about my inability to do it. I spent the other 1% getting things done that needed doing. While there was a lot of free time to do whatever I wanted when I was single, I never found the "exciting" things I did as much fun or as fulfilling as the things I do now with my family.

We're not going to do much today other than go out to lunch at The Olive Garden. There will be cake, cards, hugs and kisses. There will be some presents. But nothing beats waking up this morning and seeing my wife next to me and having my kids wish me a happy birthday. My birthday wish is that everyone could be as happy and as fortunate as I am.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Wow! I didn't know it was your birthday, so Happy Birthday! It was also my daughter's 20th birthday yesterday. Yay for February! Hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend too. :)