Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bad pictures of a beautiful tree

These are pictures of a tree in the parking lot at our office. It is always beautiful every spring but this year it is more beautiful than usual. And every year, I try to get a good picture of it but I always fail. There are always cars, signs or the building in the background. I've tried to get the background unfocused but I can't seem to do that when I want to. I've tried to wait until cars have been moved from behind it but someone is always staying late and insists on parking next to the tree. So, for what it's worth, here are my latest attempts.

The first picture shows the tree on April 30 when the buds were swelling and getting ready to bloom. I took it from a bad angle and the lovely, pink buds blend in with the background.

The second picture was taken seven days later and shows the tree in full bloom. In a way, I couldn't take a really bad picture of the tree because is it so lovely. But I certainly could have taken a better picture.

I keep trying to get pictures where the subject is in focus and the background is blurred (photographers call this Bokeh - although that means creatively using blurring and not necessarily in the background). This link points to a webpage that helps you get this in your photos.

As you can see, I can't do it on demand. I really tried on the two photos of the trees. My last picture here shows that I can get the blurry background - sometimes.

No comments: