Monday, May 17, 2010

The fiery furnace

We had a really good sermon this past Sunday. I hope to comment on it some more later but the verses used for the sermon led me to remember something interesting from my college days so I'll write this down before I forget it.

This week's sermon was about anxiety and how we deal with it. The scripture came from Daniel and the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego being threatened with death for not worshiping an idol that the Babylonian king had set up. The king said that if they wouldn't bow down to his idol, they would be thrown into a furnace.

In my junior year at college, among the many guys on my floor in the dormitory, we had a fellow whose last name was Shedrick and another fellow whose last name was Michak. All we needed was someone with a last name similar to Adednego and we'd have been all set for a lot of jokes and fun photos. Maybe we could have taken a photo of them with a cot and said it was a picture of Shedrick, Michak and a-bed-to-go.

OK - I'll never make it as a comedy writer.

2 comments:

Tippi said...

What are you talking about you'll never make it as a comedy writer? a-bed-to-go that's funny.

JED said...

Well, thank you, Tippi. I appreciate that. Especially from someone who has had such a hard time. I hope you're feeling better after having been rescued from Fort Francis by our friend with the mustache.