Thursday, July 29, 2010

I've ridden my scooter over 600 miles already

My scooter had a scheduled maintenance service at 600 miles yesterday. This seemed awfully soon to me. It involved changing the oil and filter, going over the entire bike to check that nothing was loose, checking the brakes, the steering head bearings and checking the valve clearance. That last item was the expensive part. The total bill was $284. That is much too high - it's more than one tenth the price of the scooter itself. Would you want to pay $2,000 on the first service for a $20,000 car? This is the one thing I've found that I don't like about my new scooter. Everything else is wonderful - it gets great gas mileage (about 97 miles per gallon so far), it's fun to ride and gets me to work more alert than I usually am when driving the car to work. It is fast enough to keep up with all the traffic I encounter but not too fast to tempt me to go on high speed highways. Everthing else about this scooter is terrific but if you are considering a Honda Elite 110 scooter, also consider this early and expensive first maintenance service.

No comments: