Friday, February 25, 2011

Manager of what?

This is just a quick, silly story. Today at lunch, there was a big rush on the three microwave ovens we have in the cafeteria. For a company with about 130 people, we really need more but that's all we have. So, it's important to use them efficiently. But people put stuff in them and then forget to get their food out when it's done. Or they get their food out early and leave the remaining time showing on the display so people think there is something still cooking. So, today, as my lunch was heating up, I took it on myself to direct the use of the microwaves. I checked which ones were free and which ones were about to finish. I noted which ones appeared to be in use but were not and showed people waiting in line which one to use. I called myself the Microwave Cop but then thought that didn't sound right. I wasn't arresting anyone. So, as I looked for a better name, someone suggested Manager. "That's good," I said. "I'm the Microwave Manager." Then I shortened it. I called myself the Micromanager. Just like some managers I've had in the past.

No comments: