Friday, May 06, 2011

Another scary headline

As with the headline that I wrote about last year, the headline in the picture to the right caught my attention. On my iGoogle page, I have four or five headlines from various sources and today's headline from New Scientist sounded too much like all the automobile and other types of recalls we've been seeing in the news recently. But how can you recall an infant? Do you take them back to the pediatrician who delivered them to get that birthmark removed or treat that weepy eye? Have they found a new childhood vaccine and they want to bring in all the kids who haven't yet had the shot to inoculate them?

Well, of course, it was just me misunderstanding something again. When I clicked on the little "plus" icon to open the headline up for the next level of explanation, it makes more sense.
Babies absorb information like a sponge. So why do we struggle to recall our first few years?
So it's about why we don't recall our early experiences. It is an interesting question and I'd like to read more about it sometime. But at least I can let my heart settle down a bit and worry about other things. I should have known they weren't talking about what I thought at first. There was no list of model years that normally accompanies a manufacturer's recall. What was I thinking?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I still wish Evan remembered, "I'm 3 years old, no, I'm 4 years old."