Sunday, July 24, 2011

Patty Pan Squash



We thought we were getting Zucchini when we bought our squash plants. But once they started to grow and came out looking like the ones in the top picture, we were confused. What in the world was growing in our garden? They are flat (only a couple of inches high and 4 - 6 inches across) and have scalloped edges. Some are dark green and others have mixed green and yellow coloring. Were they alien pods waiting for us to fall asleep before assuming our identities?
I entered the description in Google and found out that we were growing Patty Pan Squash in our garden. It's a type of Summer Squash. My wife, Cindy, cooked some and it is delicious! I had never heard of (or seen) this type of squash before but I'll be keeping my eye out for it in the future.
Speaking of our garden, it is going crazy. Instead of squash plants, we seem to have squash trees. And the tomatoes are growing better than I've ever seen - in our garden at least. We should have quite the harvest as the summer goes on. And Evan's beans keep producing and Emma's eggplant is starting to get near harvesting size. Yes, we're going to enjoy eating this summer.


2 comments:

Gloria said...

Your squash trees look great, one of my favorites is summer squash but I also like the patty pan, the acorn squash, the spaghetti squash (not sure if that's its real name) and of course, tons of zucchini that grows in abundance around here. Then there's pumpkin season, right around the corner!
Smile today. :)

Cindy said...

I think they look awful! At least they taste ok.