Thursday, July 19, 2012

More of the "flat" cats

Last month, I wrote a post about our trip to Santa's Village where we took along pictures of our cats to include in pictures around the park. My wife calls them the "flat" cats. Here are a few more of the pictures.

The top picture shows the cats riding with my wife (holding a picture of Henry) and son (holding a picture of Rosie) on a car ride. Of course, in real life, neither cat likes to ride in the car. I've never met a cat who liked to ride in a a car and I often wonder why dogs like riding in the car so much and cats hate it. Our cats cry the whole time we're driving them anywhere and can't wait to get out of the car when we arrive. My son didn't drive the car with Rosie on his lap by the way. We didn't want him to get a ticket! As with all of my pictures, just click on the picture to see a larger version.

The next picture shows the cats at the entrance to Santa's Village. This is a new structure at the park and is one of the first things you see as you enter. We like Santa's Village for many reasons but one of them is that there is always something new. It gives you confidence in a business when you see them improving things when they can. This goes for a lot of things. It's nice to see restaurants adding new items to their menu once in a while and it's nice to see software makers add new features and make their product easier to use. But too many changes and changes for the wrong reasons is not good. Nothing bothers me more than when something I've used for years changes for the worse or is modified for no reason. I used to love using Safeguard soap because it smelled so fresh. Then they changed it to a perfume-like smell and I've never used it since.

The final picture shows our cats in the life-sized manger scene near the chapel. At first we worried that this was sacrilegious but then we thought, "Why is it worse to have cats in the scene than to have a jackass in the manger scene?" Are smelly, nasty camels intrinsically more proper than clean, gentle (most of the time) cats? I don't think so! Plus, don't you think the owners of the stable would have wanted to have cats around to keep rats and mice from getting into the animal's food? Of source they would. We have cats in many of the manger scenes we have around our house.

I hope to have two more "flat" cat pictures to post some day. I've got to get our scanner working again, though, because those pictures (one with Santa and one on a sleigh ride) only exist as prints. Like all the other pictures we took with our "flat" cats, the workers really enjoyed seeing them with us. It also helped us not miss the cats quite so much. It's always good to get home to see them, though.


No comments: