Friday, January 05, 2018

Murder on the Orient Express was OK

I love trains. I love mysteries. I really like all of the actors and actresses in this movie. I should have really enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express but I only liked it. I knew how it was going to end (from seeing the 1974 version) but I've enjoyed other movies where I knew the ending so I figured that was no reason to not go. My family wanted to see it and I went with them.

The train was beautiful. The cinematography was wonderful. And there was an opening sequence (similar to the James Bond movies) that was really fun. I liked recognizing all the well-know actors and actresses as they entered but they just didn't seem to have any chemistry - with ANY of the other actors. I think I could have enjoyed this if some of the characters worked well together but it just seemed like each one was determined not to look less than the other characters so they didn't interact in a menacing or helpful or endearing way. They just said their lines and moved on. Johnny Depp was the biggest disappointment. He acted like a tough guy who was not tough at all. I wouldn't have been afraid of him and if I'm not scared, no one is scared.

Action scenes were added to try to make this more thrilling and I liked the idea of the train being stopped by an avalanche. If I would have just thought that there was real menace there, I might have bought into it but no one seemed like they really wanted to be the bad guy. Maybe they'll make another version sooner than 43 more years (I'll be 109 - maybe) and it will take a LOT more to get me excited about it then.

No comments: