Sunday, February 18, 2018

The pressure is on

I had my annual physical check-up last week. Things went pretty well. Even though I'm not in terrific physical shape, I do have the advantage of not needing to take any pills. Unlike most of my other 66 year old friends, I don't take pills for my heart and I don't take pills for cholesterol. In fact, I don't take any pills at all except for a daily vitamin (Centrum Silver because it was recommended by a pharmacist friend). I also drink a can of V8 juice every day and I drink two or thee glasses of apple cider every day. Is that why I'm relatively healthy? I don't know. I'm just glad for the health God has blessed me with.

But now my doctor has said that my cholesterol is getting close to the bad zone and he is threatening to prescribe a cholesterol pill if it doesn't improve. He has asked that I get my blood tested in three months and if I can't get the number back into the good zone, I may have to start taking a pill to help. He feels the best non-prescription way to do that is with more exercise. So, for the next three months, I've got a real incentive to start walking at lunch again.

Our new dog is keeping me active but I'm only walking about a half mile with her in the morning. It's too dark to walk after work so far. But I always used to walk about one and a half miles at lunch time at work and I hope to start doing that again. It has been really busy at work for that two years and I often need the time at lunch to get work done. But when it comes down to doing that or being healthy, I'm going to stay on the side of healthy.

We'll see how this goes. I could have started on Wednesday this week but I let other things take priority. But this week is it! I'm going to walk during every lunch I can.

No comments: