Monday, April 23, 2007

Living by Faith

This won't be a long post but I wanted to publish it while the thought is still fresh in my mind and also because, once again, I'm behind my "post at least once a week" guideline.

The title of this post is something you might see in a post about religion. You may have seen some thing like "We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7 (New International Version) from the New Testament and say, "I could never believe that. I have to be able to prove everything." Well, when was the last time you checked that chair you're sitting in? Did you realize that it is possible that there is a screw or joint about to come loose and if you shift just..a..bit..to..the..left - it could collapse? Or, that a train wreck occurred two miles away a half hour ago and the deadly chlorine it was carrying and that spilled out will reach you just as you're taking your next breath? No, I'll bet you didn't think about those things until you read them here. This just proves a point that we all live by faith. Every day. For most of the day. You may say, "Well, I could prove that my chair is solid before I sit in it or I could install gas sensors that would alert me to poisonous gas if I wanted to take the time to do those things. But you can't ever prove that God exists or that your faith in Him is worthwhile." I counter that it is all a matter of degrees of faith. We don't all have the same amount of faith. Some are blessed with more faith than others. But I assert that you can never fully prove that your chair is completely sound or that your chlorine sensors haven't malfunctioned, either. You can only ever "prove" something to a certain extent. And I would say that the proof that God exists comes every day when I look around at His creation. You may put your faith in the ideas of science and that all of this came about by chance but I put my faith in a Creator. For every law of physics or theorem in evolution, just replace the action verb by, "And God said...". And take a good, deep breath of fresh air. It's a beautiful day!

By the way, happy day after Earth Day. We are only stewards of this planet, not the owners. We should be taking care of it and not ruining it. This picture is from NASA from the Apollo 17 mission to the moon. Those guys had a lot of faith in the low bidder!

No comments: