Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Quite a few days of news

Except for one of these items, none of these will be a surprise to anyone reading this blog. But I just wanted to list these things since this blog also acts as my diary. So, now I can be reminded of what has happened in the last four days.

There was a Royal Wedding on Friday, April 29. It was the wedding of Prince William (oldest son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana) and a "commoner" named Kate Middleton. I tried to ignore it but it was all over the news. Also, my wife and daughter were very interested in it and I enjoyed watching part of it with them. Their favorite part? Seeing the horses pulling the carriage after the ceremony was complete!

Also on April 29, we released a new version of our software product. Part of the reason I wasn't able to watch much of The Wedding with my wife and daughter was that a bug was found at the last minute and I was trying to fix it at home and check it into our code library so we could do one more build before making the master disk for the product. I got it done but my supervisor was nervous about changing anything just a few hours before release. So, there is a known bug (not a big one, no data would be lost) as it goes out the door. It will be fixed in the next version. It's just something my co-workers can hold over my head if I get too cocky at work.

The Vatican beatified Pope John Paul II on Sunday, May 1 in Rome. This is the next step on the way to making him a Saint (with a capital 'S'). We Baptists feel that anyone who is a Christian is a saint (note the lower case 's') but the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church have decided to have a higher echelon of people who are, so to speak, Heroes of the Faith. In one way, I think this is a good idea. It's good to have people to look up to and these people have done amazing things (classified as miracles). I just don't agree that we need them as our intercessors to God. Jesus is the only intercessor we need.

Osama bin Laden was brought to justice late Sunday night, May 1 (or early Monday morning, May 2 in Pakistan where it happened). Notice my euphemism. In reality, he was assassinated. Couriers that were known to work for him were tracked for months and and, when they finally revealed the place he was hiding, it was watched for more months. Then a team of Navy SEALs was sent in and he was killed. [Updated- I originally said that bin Laden resisted and also that he used one of his wives to shield himself. I don't know if either of those is true so I removed them.]

You'll notice, by the way, that I'm no longer using links to The New York Times. That's because they have begun to charge for access to their content. While I greatly respect The Times and I think they have the best news website, I don't want to have links that will only work if you pay for them. That's too bad but I understand their reasons. Here is a link to that information.

No comments: