Monday, February 27, 2012

Oatmeal

We were driving around the other day and when lunchtime rolled around, we all started wondering about what we would eat. My wife said she'd like to get some oatmeal at McDonald's and the kids had things they wanted there, too. Now, I didn't know McDonald's even had oatmeal but I figured they have some other name for it. While you can order just a hamburger, you could also order a Big Mac, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or a Big N' Tasty. You don't order a fish sandwich, you get a Filet-O-Fish. You don't order an English muffin with egg, ham and cheese, you order an Egg McMuffin. So, I figured there would be some fancy name for it. As we were pulling up to the drive-through area (called the "Drive-Thru"), I wanted to be ready for the big question and answer period. I was sure it was going to be called McOats or Maple Delight or something like that. I asked my wife, "So what do they call the oatmeal?" and she simply answered, "Oatmeal." Every one (but me) started laughing (at my silliness) and it took a while for the sound to die down so I could order "oatmeal". Sure enough, they knew what I was asking for.

If you think it ended there, though, you don't know my kids. For days after that, they would ask each other what you call oatmeal. Then it expanded to everything in the house. Evan would ask, "What do you call that?" and Emma would answer, "That's a cat!" Then she'd ask, "What do you call a pizza?" Evan and my wife would shout, "A pizza!" I found out later that the full name of McDonald's oatmeal  is Fruit and Maple Oatmeal but they know what you're talking about if you just call it oatmeal. I'm glad I bring my family such enjoyment.

4 comments:

Fire-Cat said...

What do you like calling oatmeal?

Oatmeal! !

Love Fire-Cat

Cindy said...

We're still laughing!

JED said...

You're a laugh riot, Fire-Cat!

Fire-Cat said...

Like it saying What do you call oatmeal?

OATMEAL!

Love Fire-Cat