Sunday, May 01, 2016

Watching out for the second owner

I haven't seen the commercial recently but I remember seeing a car commercial where someone is about to enter their car and they are asked to be careful with it by a person they don't know. It turns out (in the commercial's strange world) that the person asking the car owner to be careful is the next owner of the car. The car company is touting the fact that their cars are well made and will still be in good shape when the original owner either sells it or trades it in on a new car. Then, the next person that buys the car will have to live with any mistakes or problems the original owner allowed to happen to the car. Did they get the scheduled maintenance? Did they drive it too fast or get in an accident? Did they lend the car to someone who didn't take care of it? Of course it's just a fanciful idea. Unless you promise to sell your car to someone or give it to them, you will never know who the next owner of your car will be.

I thought about this today when I saw a story on the news about a fellow who got a double lung transplant and had built himself up to be able to run a 5K race to help publicize organ donation. I am already listed as an organ donor and it made me wonder who might get my organs when I don't need them anymore. What if I was doing something and some people walked up to me and said I should take better care of their heart or their liver or their corneas or any of the other organs that can be donated. When I'm sitting at my desk at work and lunch time rolls around, maybe if I thought of the second owners of my organs, it would motivate me to get out and exercise instead of just sitting there. If I think about the second owners of my organs, maybe I won't have that second helping that I don't really need. Of course, those are all good things I should be doing anyway but by thinking of someone else, it may help motivate me more than just my own self-centered interest in staying healthy.


No comments: