Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Building boom


You may have heard that there is trouble in the housing market. Well, that's not the case everywhere. Take the place where I take my walks at lunch. In the past week, I've noticed a tremendous amount of activity. Can't see what I mean? Look at the path in the picture on the right. You'll a large number of ant hills (the light brown mounds about an inch high) running along the path in two rows. What I find strange about this is that they all seemed to appear overnight although more are appearing every day. They are all in shaded areas along the path. Finally, I never see any ants around them! Usually you see ants entering and leaving a nest but none of these show activity. But I know they are active because some of the hills have gotten run over by bikes or stepped on and the next day they are cleaned up. Some idiot even tried stuffing things into the holes and they were cleared out the next day. Still no ants visible. Maybe, since they build them in the shade, these are ants that don't like the heat and only come out at night. Could we be in the middle of an invasion from Canadian ants? I'll keep my eyes on this and let you know what I find.

No comments: