Friday, August 17, 2007

I love history, too, but...


...some of the ways we discover history bother me. I read the other day about an Etruscan tomb that was found intact in Italy. The archaeologists are both excited (that it is perfectly preserved) and surprised that it had not been looted: "When we found fragments outside, we thought we would find that the tomb had been violated. But the main burial room was completely intact." Until now, that is. It's one thing to investigate old buildings and other common sites. But when we disturb burial sites or religious shrines, I don't like it. We make big trouble when someone tries to disturb our own burial sites (or even our battlefields) but seem to think nothing of disturbing sites of Native Americans or other, older civilizations. Perhaps that is because no one is left (or has the power) to tell us to back off.

I guess I would be disappointed to know how much of the history I read and love has come from excavating burial sites. I'm slowly working my way through J. M. Roberts, History of the World now (an older edition than the link points to). The book would probably be half its size if it wasn't for shady archaeologists' plundering of old burial grounds. It does seem that there is more concern being shown about this, though. I hope this continues. There are small differences between people looting old tombs to make money and museums and universities looting old tombs to increase knowledge. For instance, the museums and universities usually put the items on display. Sometimes, they are able to preserve them. They study them to see how they fit in with other objects while the people who loot for money often just spread the items out to the high bidder. Usually, only the owner sees them from then on.

But why do we have to see these things? Do we have to bring Mount Everest to a museum near us to believe that it exists? Do we dismantle it piece by piece to study it? Couldn't we leave the artifacts where they are and carefully let some researchers look at them where they are? I'm probably being too simplistic here but I'll fall back on my "this is my blog and I'll say what I want" statement. You're welcome to disagree!

[Update - I put a new link on the right. It points to the History Channel site "This Day in History" section. I find it fascinating to look at brief stories about things that happened in the past on this day. Often, the stories will follow over a few days and you can try to imagine being back there when it really happens. The parallels between then and now are very interesting.

Unfortunately, they've changed the site in the last year and it starts off playing a movie highlighting the top stories so turn your speaker down if you find it embarrassing.]

No comments: