Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Who's going to win?

This happens more with sporting events but it also happens with elections and even with stories (or movies or TV shows) where it gets changed to "What's going to happen? Does this guy get caught?"

I was looking over the news at lunch today and one of the headlines was, "Who is going to win the Masters" (link to CNN story). What is the use of this? If someone really knows the answer to this, would people who would normally watch this golf tournament not watch it now that they know who is going to win? Or are they going to bet on that person and win a bunch of money? Does it make them feel better if the golfer who is going to win is a golfer they like so they can be assured he is going to win?

In reality, no one knows who is going to win this tournament. Nor does anyone know who is going to win the World Series (now that the baseball season has finally started) but that doesn't stop people from making these predictions. Usually, it's the experts that make these predictions. But what is really interesting is that these experts differ on who they think will win. For instance, for the two (interminably long) weeks before the Super Bowl is played, there were articles (by the experts of course) about why the New Orleans Saints were going to win. Oh my goodness, they were right! But the funny part is there were also articles (by different experts) about why the Indianapolis Colts were going to win. Are those guys no longer considered experts? I'll bet they will still be making predictions next year.

I think what it comes down to is a feeling of comfort. My wife and son will often ask me how a story we are watching on TV will turn out. I say, "Won't that ruin it for you?" "Why don't we just watch the rest of the story and you'll find out?" I usually end up saying. But I think they get nervous when they don't know what is going to happen. Especially if it is a suspenseful story. If I tell them that Grace Kelly will get caught in Raymond Burr's apartment when she is snooping around for his wife's jewelry does that ease their minds or do I need to say that yes, she will be found out by Mr. Burr but the police will get there in time to help her? I'm talking about the movie Rear Window and I hope I haven't ruined it for you. It really is a great movie.

I remember seeing the movie Zulu on TV with my father (who had seen it before) and every time the Zulus would attack, he'd say, "Well, I think this is when the Welsh regiment is wiped out." I hadn't asked him what would happen. He just offered this information and each time I was prepared for the small group of soldiers to be killed and every time, while some of them would die, the group survived. Until the next attack and my father would say, "Oh, now I remember. This is the time they are all killed." And once again, I'd be looking for the end. And it didn't happen. In fact, the regiment survives through the movie and the Zulu warriors move on - after saluting the soldiers for their bravery. This is just the opposite of wanting to know "how it ends". But I have to say, that this was one one of the most exciting movies I've ever seen - perhaps because of my father's unsolicited comments. Maybe the people watching the Masters will say the same thing when the experts are wrong.

1 comment:

Mr. Bean said...

I Don't get why they say what's going to happen. just watch the show and find out. Teddy is the same way always asking what happens next.