Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another thing about writing

Yesterday, in my post commenting about a report of the decline of blogging, I mentioned why I write this blog. But those two simple things are not the only reasons to write of course. Those are just the reasons I write this blog. There are as many reasons to write as there are writers. I recently thought about one nice reason to write - it is one way to have the perfect conversation. If you're like me, you always think about what you wanted to say to someone after you've hung up the phone or after you've come home from the party. You know how it is, you're talking to someone and they talk like they know everything. You say something like, "I wish I knew that there was going to be a problem. I wouldn't have done what I did." Then the other person says, "Oh, I knew all along that there was going to be a problem. That's why I did what I did. And boy am I happy!" Then you go home and think, "Wait a minute! How do I know they did what they say they did? They're such a liar that I can't just accept what they're saying without proof."

But it's too late. You're home and you can't continue the conversation. But if you're a writer, you can have a conversation like this.

The Know-it-all says, "Oh, I knew all along that was going to happen."

You, the writer says, "Is that right? That's not what you said the day before."

The Know-it-all say, "How do you know? Do you have a recording of that?"

You, the writer says, "As a matter of fact I do. Would you like to hear it?"

The Know-it-all says, "You're just bluffing. You don't really have a recording of what I said."

You, the writer says, "You know - between you and me we know everything thing there is to know in the world. You know everything except you're a lying jerk. And I know that!"

See? Isn't it wonderful to get the last word? You get to think about it as long as you want. You don't have to write your response until you're ready. Time doesn't matter when you're a writer. You get to have the perfect conversation.

2 comments:

Crafts made by me said...

I have been doing a lot of typing.

JED said...

Yes you have. And I think it is helping with your writing and your spelling.