Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today I am 60

This is just a short post to mark my 60th birthday.

I know it's just a number. I know I don't feel any different than the day before when I was 59. I know, given my current good health, that I've got a lot more years to go. But...

It seems like 60 is SO OLD. When I was younger, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be 60 years old. I imagined I'd be walking around with a cane or a walker. I imagined I'd have no hair left on the top of my head. I imagined that I wouldn't be walking every day and keeping active. I was wrong about all those things.

The age of 60 is indeed just another day in your life. In many ways, I have never felt better in my life. In many, many ways I am so much better off than I was when I was younger. For instance, I have a wonderful wife and two terrific children. I didn't have that when I was in my 30's. I have a wonderful house that I didn't have when I was in my 20's. I know I don't know it all and that is more than I could say for my younger self. I thought I knew everything. Now I know the gaps in my knowledge. But I still have the desire to learn and understand more.

I can't run as fast as I used to and I can't ride my bicycle as far as I used to but so what? I don't need to do that. As long as I can do what I need to do, I'm happy. And I can do that and more. It truly is a wonderful life. Thank you God and thank you to my family. You've made this a wonderful day.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Thank goodness I still have ten years to reach you. I think you are in better shape now than when we got married.

Crafts Made By Me said...

Happy Birthday! To You, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To Daddya, Happy Birthday To You!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Daddya.

Gloria said...

Happy Birthday! Ok, I'm a little late...but I had no idea that your birthday is the same as my oldest daughter's birthday...she just turned 21...has so many more years to learn and grow too (I hope!) Hope you had a wonderful day with your family and enjoy many more wonderful days ahead.
Smile today. :)

JED said...

Thank you all. It was a wonderful day. I'm going to be talking about the presents I got in future posts.