Friday, January 27, 2012

The appearance of being healthy

People have written about these things before but I couldn't resist. And no one really thinks ramen noodles are health food. But when the cover of the box looks like the picture at the right, you can imagine yourself getting ready to eat a healthy soup with a large portion of vegetables. That is, until you open the package.

I know a lot of people who use ramen noodles that just throw out the flavor packet because it has so much sodium in it. My stupid joke is that while everyone else in the lunch room is wondering if they are getting enough sodium in their diet, I'm sure I am when I eat these noodles.

Well, there is no flavor packet to throw out when you get this particular version of ramen. It comes mixed in - with all the vegetables. So, how many vegetables do you get? See the second picture on the left. Yes there are about seven pieces of corn, three or four peas and about eight slivers of carrot. Not exactly vegetable soup. But it is tasty. And my wife always gives me something to mix in. Today it was some ham. It is amazing how much better that makes it taste. And it's filling. So, while I wouldn't eat this too often, it's fine for a quick lunch when there isn't time to prepare something more elaborate.

Also, there are some interesting things you can do with the blocks of ramen noodles. Someone at work told me about breaking a raw egg over the noodle block along with a slice of cheese and maybe a piece of ham, sausage or Spam. It tastes pretty close to an Egg McMuffin but a lot cheaper. And, as before, I don't recommend a daily habit of this but once in a while, it's not bad.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I think the egg and cheese version isn't too bad, I cook the egg though. Not my favorite noodles, but the Amish noodles we get are awesome and so much more filling. I find myself adding them to lots of good meals since I don't eat much meat. I thought that was a good commentary on ramen noodles, the picture always looks better.
Smile today. :)

Cindy said...

I used to throw out the salty packet, too.