Sunday, July 08, 2012

Sixteen

I'm posting this three days late. But I've labeled it as July 8 because my son, Evan, turned 16 years old on July 8. In the picture, if you look at the numbers on the cake, you have to realize the "16" is facing him. When I first looked at it, I thought the numbers were backwards or that my wife got mixed up and put my age, 61, on the cake. Perspective changes a lot of what we think we know.

I am proud of Evan. He is turning into quite a smart young man. He definitely has his own ideas about everything and can be very stubborn. But nothing makes me happier than those times when I tell him something and he questions it with a logical argument. He can be very persuasive. Not in the Godfather way of "explaining" things to you but in the "I want to explain my point of view" way. He is learning to accept the things that need faith and to question the things that need to be investigated. He is learning to work hard on the things he loves. And have I ever mentioned that he is taller than I am?

Also in this picture is Evan's grandmother, my mother-in-law and I'm so glad she lives with us. She joins in on most things we do. She is a joy to be with.

No comments: