Monday, July 30, 2012

Return of the honeybees?

This isn't a very scientific survey but I seem to see even more honeybees around this summer. One of the places I walk at lunch is a meadow of thistle plants (at least I think they are thistle) and it was loaded with honeybees today. I do know that the insects are honeybees and I'm glad to see them making a comeback. As I've mentioned before in a post titled, "I hope this is a trend", Colony Collapse Disorder has caused many colonies to die out. But I think wild honeybees aren't as affected as much as domesticated bees.

I found even better news as I was researching this post. I ran into this article, "Scientific Breakthrough Halts Honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder", appropriately in a newspaper named The Sacramento Bee, about hope that Colony Collapse Disorder may be treatable. A respected scientist in Italy has come up with a formulation for a food that honeybees can eat that protects them from this problem. According to the article, it will soon be available in the United States. Lets hope that this ends the problem.

No comments: