Wednesday, August 01, 2012

The Rules of Life - Part 4

It has been years since I last wrote about my rules of life. Part of that was that the third of my rules was The Golden Rule. To me, that's the number one rule. So, how can I top that? I can't and I never will. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't add to the list. So, here goes.

Yesterday, it was going to rain hard in the afternoon and I didn't want to chance getting caught in that while riding my scooter so I took our van to work (after clearing it with my wife and kids, of course). As I approached the driveway to our office, I noticed a BMW sports car speeding up behind me. I was glad I was pulling off the road so they could pass me but they didn't. The car pulled right in behind me rushing to get into our company's driveway, too. Well, they were in a rush but I was not going to speed up and drive dangerously just to keep them happy. If they were late for a meeting, it was too late to make up time now. They were just going to have to live with the consequences. As I drove along the driveway, I prepared to turn into the parking area. I always use my turn signals so the impatient BMW could see I'd be getting out of their way and, hopefully, could relax that I'd no longer be holding them back. But as I went to pull into the lot, someone was walking out and I needed to stop as they crossed the road. Well, they headed right across the road Impatient BMW and I were on. So, I had to stop as it took longer for the pedestrian to walk across to the sidewalk. But Impatient BMW wasn't about to just sit there while I "blocked" their way. They started to pass me! We're on a narrow driveway on the edge of a parking lot and they are going to pass me! But the worst of it was that they didn't know why I was stopped. They were going to hit the person walking across the driveway.

Fortunately, Impatient BMW had pretty quick reflexes and stopped just in time. The pedestrian stopped, too, with an alarmed look on their face. I could hear Impatient BMW wave them over while saying, "Go ahead. That's OK." That's OK? You came close to knocking them over. You were in the wrong and you are acting like you're giving them a break! I didn't want to get into an argument with someone I worked with so I let it go. But I've come up with a rule.

Rule of Life #4 - You are not the most important person in the world. Sometimes, you just have to wait.

It's important to not act like anything is allowed if we think we need to get somewhere or do something and someone is in our way. If we want something, we are not allowed to disregard everyone else to get it.

My other rules are here: Rule 1, Rule 2 and Rule 3.

No comments: