Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mushrooms in the woods

Yes, I like to take pictures of mushrooms. I have at least five other posts about mushrooms: "Mushrooms", "The mushrooms that bloom in the fall", "More mushrooms", "Just one more post about mushrooms..." and "A mushroom scene". If that's not enough for you, I saw some more interesting specimens on a recent lunch-time walk in the woods.

The first one amazed me because it was right in the path. It stood so tall and erect but I knew it wouldn't last long. Someone was sure to knock it over by mistake. So, I needed to get this picture before that happened. I love the tan coloring on the pure white background. It's just perfect as it is. It's sad to think that it won't last long.

The next one is almost the opposite. It looks so old and tired. It's off to the side of the path and will probably last longer than the first mushroom - unless it turns out to taste good to some animal that happens along. It seems to have had a hard life and this mushroom is just exhausted. It's resting its head on the path for now and I didn't want to bother it.

As you can see, I like imagining human-like traits in the mushrooms I find. This next one is a familiar theme in my mind. It reminds me of a mother and child. The smaller one looks so pure and untouched. The larger one seems to be shading it and protecting it. The smaller one seems to be a little unsure on its base as it is leaning a bit. Kind of like a young child learning to walk.

Oh well, I know none of that is true. But I still love the shapes and the colors. And if they suggest stories to me, so much the better. I liked these pictures so much that I didn't reduce their size before uploading them to the blog. So, if you click on them to see them in their original size, you'll see the full resolution that my camera can produce.

OK, just more more picture from that walk but this time it's not a mushroom! This is a tiny flower I found in the grass that I nearly missed. The flower is about three eighths of an inch across. I had to get really close to get this. I like the pattern of white markings on the petals. But , of course, the main color is nice, too. See, I do like things other than mushrooms.

[Update - As I was looking through some of my older blog posts ("I wrote that?"), I noticed that I took a much better picture of a flower similar to this one in my post "Now my pictures look better".]

No comments: