Wednesday, March 04, 2009

And March doesn't bring an end to winter either

I know, I know. March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb. Spring doesn't officially come until March 20 this year. Winter always hangs on longer than it should and then it abruptly changes to summer around here. But I really had hopes this year. We had a beautiful day with warming temperatures on February 27. I made the mistake of getting my hopes up. Well, just to show the difference, here are two pictures of the place in the woods behind our office where I walk. The first was taken on Friday, February 27. The sun was bright and the air was almost warm. I was starting to hear birds coming back into the woods (although none would sit still long enough for me to snap a picture). Then, Sunday night and early Monday morning on March 2, we got another snowfall. It was supposed to be mostly rain for us. It wasn't. It started out as snow, changed to freezing rain and then back to snow. Then the temperature dropped and it froze even more. The snow at the bottom has started to melt and that froze. Then the snow on top was mixed with the freezing rain so there was a crust on the snow in the middle. It was the worst snow to shovel. We were fortunate that we only got about 4 inches. It could have been worse. But, all things considered, I could have handled a rain storm much better.

No comments: