Sunday, September 18, 2011

Another long time between blog posts but...

It's been 17 days since my last blog post. This is due, in part, to more illness. Both to my wife and to my computer! I'll be writing much more about both of those subjects plus a lot more. I have a number of posts in draft right now and hope to finish them up soon. Just as a sampling:

1) My wife Cindy has been diagnosed with one of the forms of Amyloidosis. We spent two days in Boston as she underwent tests. Most of the news was good. Some wasn't so good and we're headed back to Boston tomorrow (Monday, September 19) for another day of tests. [Update - see Amyloidosis]

2) My computer got some sort of virus that caused clicking on any results from a search engine search to redirect me to a bogus web site acting as if it was a search engine, too. Yes, I had full anti-virus protection enabled and updated on my computer and it wasn't picked up there. I went through an epic struggle to get rid of the problem but in the end something very simple and basic fixed it. [Update - see Be careful out there]

3) I myself have been plagued with a problem called Plantar Fasciitis and after about five months, I can finally say I think it is behind me. I'll tell you what I've found out about it and what helped me. [Update - see Plantar Fasciitis]

4) My scooter has turned over 5,000 miles and I found out I wasn't checking its oil level correctly. I've been running it for some time with a low oil level. [Update - see 5,000 miles]

5) I was reminded of a time when my son was about 3 years old and we'd had our mixed Basset Hound and Black Lab dog for a short time, he heard the song Hound Dog but mixed up the lyrics. His version is funny enough but I'm going to tell you about an entire website dedicated to misheard lyrics. [Update - see Misunderstood lyrics]

6) We've had some great sermons at our church over the years. I'm going to write about a couple and point you to videos that you can watch. Happily, our church has decided to find a permanent home for the sermon videos. [Update - see Forgiveness and Trust]

7) I ran across a series of articles in a mechanical engineering magazine about the unwritten laws of engineering. They were written in 1944 and still make sense - even if you're an engineer in another discipline or even if you're not an engineer at all. [Update - see The unwritten laws of engineering]

8) While my wife was undergoing two days of tests in Boston, I took the kids to an amazing 3-D movie in an IMAX theater that I want to tell you about. [Update - see "Under the Sea"]

9) Also while we were in Boston (and Cindy was getting poked and prodded), I took the kids to the New England Aquarium and I want to tell you about that, too. [Update - see New England Aquarium and New England Aquarium - part 2]

10) One other thing the kids and I did in Boston was to ride the 'T' a lot. If you don't know what that is, you'll find out. You'll also find out how I fulfilled something I'd always wanted to do. [Update - see Riding the 'T']

That's it for now. I hope to get these posts ready and published before the end of this month. I know I once said in Promises and Monkey Wrenches that I would never say ahead what I was going to be writing about in the future. I am going to trust that this will be more an encouragement to me to finish the posts than a hindrance that ties my hands. We'll see.

No comments: