Sunday, May 27, 2012

Yard sale

We're having a yard sale today. I should note that my family is having the yard sale and I'm just helping. I'm not selling anything. I just move things around, put things together (for display) and take things apart (when they sell of if we have to put them back in our basement). I am not a salesman which is why I am an engineer and not in sales or marketing. I realize that you can have the best product in the world but if people don't know about it or how to use it, you won't sell many.

Our neighbors across the road are having a yard sale, too. It's by design. My wife talked to them and we all thought it would help both families and it seems to be working. People stop on our side of the road and shop among our stuff and then walk across the road to our neighbor's sale. And we've seen people walking across the road to our house from the neighbor's sale, too. You can see my mother-in-law watching from her door in the top picture. She's not into selling either but she does have a few things that my wife and kids are selling for her.

You can see some of the things for sale in these pictures. If you see something you like, and it's not gone already, make us an offer. But my family has learned not to let me set the prices or negotiate with people. I tend to drop the price too much. I let my wife and kids set their own prices. That's why I'm not selling anything. I'd probably just give it away.


3 comments:

Gloria said...

Kids' toys and clothes sell the best at garage sales so you look like you should do well. I usually just avoid the whole garage sale thing by packing everything up and giving it to Goodwill. They can do the selling for me. Otherwise, I would just end up giving it all away for a quarter and see it in someone else's garage sale down the street next weekend!
Smile today. :)

Cindy said...

Gloria was right. It is mostly going to Goodwill. The clothes didn't sell, nor did the toys. Jim did all the bull work.

JED said...

Cindy said, "Jim did all the bull work."

That's because I'm so full of it.