Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Cubs release message from Castro" ??

I saw this headline on the CNN website the other day. Why would the Chicago Cubs have anything to do with Castro? And which Castro? Fidel or his brother? And doesn't CNN know the verb should be "release" since "Cubs" is plural? So many questions.

Could this have something to do with the old story (probably just a legend) about Fidel Castro being a good baseball player and actually trying out for the Pittsburgh Pirates at one time? That brings up all the "what if" questions about what would have happened if Fidel had made it with the Pirates. Would Cuba be a Communist nation now? Would Roberto Clemente have been happier if Castro (another Spanish speaker) was still on the team when Roberto arrived in 1955?

Well, as usual, I was just confused by the font they used on their website. The real headline was
Cuba releases message from Castro
That makes much more sense. This isn't the first time I've been deceived by a strange (or perhaps too small) font. There was the time I was worried about the Irish tenor threat from a BBC headline. I guess I never learn.



2 comments:

Fire-Cat said...

Where is the falcon that you followed yesterday?

Love Fire-Cat

JED said...

I'm a little slow. It's coming.