Monday, January 19, 2015

Things I think my father told me

I have been telling people the following two quotes for years and I tell everyone that my father told me these things.

Quote number 1:
Watch out for people who notice whether you lock your car or not and make a big deal about it. Especially watch out for the people that make fun of you for locking your car.
Quote number 2:
All Welshmen think they are great singers. With so many people in Wales singing, it makes sense that a larger than average number of Welshmen are good singers.

By the way, my father was born in Wales so his talking like this about Welshmen is from experience. My father was a pretty good singer, too.

I've been reading a book called, You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney. It explains how we often delude ourselves and how we fill in details of our life with false memories. It has me questioning my memories about things like this. Most memories I'm very sure about but these two may not have happened like I think they did. As I read more of this book, I'll write a post about it. Maybe, when I finish the book, I'll be able to figure out if these are real memories or something I just made up and thought my father told me. They're still good quotes, though, and if Dad didn't tell them to me, what does it matter?


No comments: