Thursday, June 04, 2009

The old future is a little closer

I wrote too quickly, it turns out. In a previous post, I made reference to a CNN article about how the current "future" isn't like the future that people in the early parts of the last century wrote about; by the year 2009, people expected things to be more, well, "futuristic". I disagreed with the article and wrote counter arguments but I conceded that the future "now" is different than people of the past had written about or hoped for. I shouldn't have conceded the point.

Today, along comes an article on the Computerworld website about a flying car! And the best part is that when I went to the company's website to see the pictures, like the one here, they are not artist's conceptions. They are pictures of the real thing. Flying. Up in the air. Above some buildings!

The company Terrafugia is estimating that the car will be ready for sale some time next year. So, the year 2010 is looking a lot more like what was imagined back in the last century. But will it have a ray gun?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

We can't afford it.
Cindy