Sunday, June 14, 2009

"This is the story..."

When my son, Evan, was about three years old, he started to really love stories. He liked the stories we read to him and he liked the stories we told him (especially funny stories of things that happened to us). But he especially loved to tell stories. He still does but it all started with a six word story that he wrote. He would tell it to us over and over. He would always preface it with, "This is the story..." and then came the story: "And all the animals went home."

It always brings a smile to my face when I think about it. Partly because it helps me remember what Evan was like at that age but also for the story itself. My wife Cindy likes that it has a happy ending. I like the word "And" that begins the story.

You always hear about stories that leave you wanting more; stories that make you wonder what happens next. Evan's story leaves me wondering what happened before all the animals left to go home. Why had they all gathered together? Or were they brought together against their will and managed to earn their freedom? Had they been heroic or helpful? Were they friends before they gathered and did they remain friends after they left?

I remember hearing about Ernest Hemingway saying he could write a complete story in six words and then doing it: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." That is a fascinating story (but my wife wouldn't like it because of the sad ending). And I understand there have been contests and challenges to others to make these kinds of short, short stories, Many of the ones I've read have been really good and I've thought of submitting Evan's story but never did. There is even a website dedicated to the tiny stories at Six Word Stories. Some of those are wonderful. But I like Evan's best.

My wife just reminded me of a funny thing Evan would say when anyone asked him the question, "How old are you?" Evan would answer, "Big!"

No comments: