Monday, December 03, 2012

An old choir injury

My title is a joke on an often heard phrase used by someone explaining an obvious injury. Maybe you see a person limping or favoring their arm and you ask them what's the matter and they will say, "It's just an old football injury acting up." Or perhaps a veteran would answer, "It's an old war wound flaring up again." Well, I have none of those excuses for my limping around the office today. I may be the only person you'll ever hear complaining about an old choir injury. Other people get hurt saving someone's life or performing some amazing athletic feat. Some people hurt themselves doing good or battling against the odds. Me - I hurt myself getting on the stage for a choir rehearsal last night. Who knew singing in the church choir could be so dangerous?

My son and I have joined the Christmas choir at our church. I haven't sung in a choir for years and my son has never done it. But he has a very good voice and sings in the bass range as I do (as mentioned in my post, "Those dangerous Irish Tenors") so not only will he learn a lot but he will also contribute right away. For some reason, most mixed voice choirs always need men. Too many high voices can sound thin but a good bass section can add real body to the sound. Not to discount the other voices - all parts are needed to balance out the timbre and give it a fuller tone. It's also fun to see him interact with other people. He a nice guy and people like him. And he's just fun to be with.

Anyway, at last night's rehearsal, we were supposed to be getting on stage for a full run-through of the 45-minute performance with the band. The steps up to the stage were clogged with, frankly, a lot of people more interested in talking than getting on the stage so we could continue the rehearsal. So, my son, who is 16-years old and in better shape than I am, decided to jump up on the stage (about two and a half feet high) from where we were standing. He did it and headed for the risers where we would be standing. I knew I'd never be able to just jump up there like he did but I figured I could step up that high and not wait for the steps to clear. Well, I got my leg up there and stepped up but I immediately felt something give in my right foot. Why do I think I am younger than I really am? Why am I so impatient? So, there I was not able to put pressure on my foot and I needed to stand there for over 45 minutes. I didn't do my best singing and I was never so glad to get home and put my foot up.

It doesn't feel as bad today. It needs more rest and it will heal. But if you see me limping along, don't ask what's wrong. It's too embarrassing to explain.

4 comments:

The man in green said...

Jumping easy.

The man in green said...

I mean Jumping IS easy

JED said...

Yes, I suppose jumping would be easy for you and your brother who have learned to "jump good" by constantly jumping over obstacles in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Toadstool said...

Well I can jump too ya know.