Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Walk away back pain

On the way home tonight, I was listening to the radio and a story came on about the number one way doctors have found to help with lower back pain. It's not a device and it's not a pill. It's not an operation and it's not some weird treatment. It's exercise. I would heartily agree with that. I find that when I haven't been walking for a while, my back starts to bother me. The longer I go without walking, the worse it gets. My back mostly bothers me at night while I'm laying in bed. But if I can keep walking (20-30 minutes a day five days a week), I have no back pain. The story was on All Things Considered on National Public Radio and the specific story, is entitled "Forget The Gizmos: Exercise Works Best For Lower-Back Pain".

But another thing I think that helps, and I've never seen this written up anywhere, is riding my scooter. When you're on a scooter, you have to hold your back straight. In a car, you just lean back but there's nothing to lean against on the scooter. I don't know if it's the same with a motorcycle. The people I see on motorcycles are not sitting as straight up as we scooter riders have to do. That would be an interesting study - if anyone is motivated. But you'll have to get your own scooter for the tests.

No comments: