Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Salada Taglines

I remember drinking Salada Tea as a young child. My father was born in Wales and lived there and in London for most of his younger years. So, his love of tea isn't a surprise. My mother also had a Welsh and British heritage and drank tea, too. It was only natural that I'd start drinking tea at an early age. I always remember our teachers in grade school telling us not to drink tea or coffee because it would stunt our growth. I was the tallest kid in school. But maybe I'd be taller than 6' 2" now if I hadn't drunk that evil stuff.

Salada tea was one of my parents' favorites. And I remember reading the Salada Taglines as soon as I could read. As a matter of fact, I believe it helped me learn to read because I'd see a word I didn't know on the tagline and ask my parents about it. I hadn't been reading the little sayings printed on the backs of the tag for a long time but recently started reading them again. Here are some of my favorites.

A meeting is an event where the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.

Do today what you may not get to do tomorrow.

Among economists, the real world is often a special case.

To err is human - to blame it on someone else is even more human.

Insurance is what keeps people poor so they can die rich.

He who laughs last probably didn't get the joke.

Bronze doors at Salada's old Boston
headquarters - click for a better view
Salada is an old company. It was started in 1892 but the taglines weren't added until the 1960's from an idea by a Salada employee named John Colpitts (that's his picture at the top - it's from a page of Salada history at their website). An interesting tidbit is that when the company opened a headquarters in Boston (at 330 Stuart Street), it commissioned Henry Wilson  to create the large bronze doors for its entrance. Follow the link to see other bronze doors Mr. Wilson designed. The company moved out of the building in 1959 but the doors remain there. You can go to Google Street View and still see them as I did here. A screenshot is at the left. Click on the picture to get a better view. Too bad the van was driving by as the Google folks were taking the picture.

These little sayings don't prove anything and they won't win an argument for you. They won't change the world and they won't give you the answers to the tests you need to take. They are just fun to read and think about. And some quotes from some pretty famous people have been used as the taglines, too. Since it's only a couple of days since the holiday named for him, here's one for one of the famous people to end this post.
Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.   Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: