Friday, January 08, 2016

A sneaky way to get a date

As this is our 22nd wedding anniversary, I was thinking about how wonderful it is to be married to my wife. And we both say how happy we are not to have to be dating anymore. As I thought about how hard it was to be dating, I remembered a bit of weird logic I used a couple of times to get a woman to agree to go out on a date with me. I would tell her I was going to ask her three questions and she could answer, "Yes" or "No" to them.

The first question was, "Do you promise to be completely honest with me and answer the questions truthfully?" This sometimes caused a little worry because they might think I could ask a very personal question that might be embarrassing. So, I assured them, on the side, that I wasn't going to ask an embarrassing question.

The second question was  a hypothetical question. I'd say, "What if my third question will be, 'Will you go out with me this week-end?' Would your answer to that question be the same as your answer to this question?" That's the logic problem. If she would say, "Yes" to this second question, it meant she would need to answer, "Yes" when I asked her the third question which would, indeed, be, "Will you go out with me this week-end?" If she answered, "No" to the second question, meaning that her answers would be different, she would still need to answer, "Yes" to the third question.

Of course, this is more of a joke than anything else and it tended to give us something more to talk about.. My potential dates were not obligated to go out with me, of course. I think I only used this a couple of times and it was with women who were inclined to go out with me anyway. But since I don't need this anymore, you are welcome to use it if you'd like.

Good luck.

No comments: