Monday, February 29, 2016

Undo

As a software engineer and a computer user, one of the things I am used to having is the ability to undo an operation. It's just second nature for computer users. There are so many places where you can make a mistake that you need the ability to undo the mistake. There are many places in life that you can't undo your mistakes and I understand that, too. Get off the highway at the wrong exit? You've got to navigate the unknown roads until you get back on the highway going the right way. Drop something in the toilet, without noticing it, and flush - there is no undo for that. But something we use all the time that surprised me that should have an undo that doesn't is an elevator.

I happened to be using one the other day and mistakenly hit the wrong button. It was easy enough to then hit the right button but there was no way to undo hitting the wrong button. It's not the end of the world but it would be so easy to add that feature that I'm surprised no one has. At least no elevator I've ever seen has that undo capability. In my case, I was alone and the floor I mistakenly pressed was beyond the floor I wanted. But it meant that someone trying to use the elevator after me was going to have to wait as the elevator went one more floor  in the same direction as I was going (down in this case). So some poor (or unfortunate) person above was going to have to wait just a little longer for the car to come back their way.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world. It's just one more inconvenience in our day but those things add up. I wonder if the elevator manufacturer would mind not having an undo after they mistakenly delete the pictures they took on their last vacation? I think not.

Happy Extra Day, by the way. What are you planning on doing on your free day that only comes once every four years?

No comments: