Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not a trend setter

I was reading an article today about a phrase that someone had heard in their office and how everyone was latching onto it (like "moving forward" (meaning "we should have done this before and promise to do it in the future"), or "we're being proactive about that" (meaning "we're afraid that someone might sue us over this so we're going to have to do it"). While I've never liked those phrases and wish people would just say what they mean, I've always thought it would be fun to coin a new phrase.

I have always liked Woody Allen's movie Sleeper. The main character, played by Woody, has been put in a state of suspended animation in the hopes that some time in the future they will find a cure for his illness. When he is finally brought back to consciousness, 200 years later, the country is a totalitarian state and he is being asked by the rebels to infiltrate the government. They find out that the dictator has actually been killed and all that remains of him is his nose. After Woody is captured and escapes, he is mistaken for a doctor and asked to use the nose to clone another copy of the dictator. The scene that follows, with Woody and Diane Keeton playing for time as they try to get away, is hilarious. Of course, they have no idea what they are doing and they put on more of a song and dance routine than actually doing anything medical. Throughout the procedure they keep saying they are cloning the nose.They never do.

Their little skit reminded me of some people I knew who, when they were trying to explain what they were doing or trying to get the higher-ups to accept their project, obviously had no clue about what they were doing. I started classifying this as "Cloning the Nose". I thought it was hilarious and and I used it all the time. I still chuckle when I think about it becuase it reminds me of that funny scene in the movie. But I could never get it to catch on. Oh well, moving forward...

No comments: