Friday, November 12, 2010

An interesting irony

Can irony be interesting or is it just ironic? Perhaps it's similar to there not being anything that is "very unique". Something is either unique (one of a kind) or it's not. Here I go drifting away from my story.

This morning on the way to work (still riding my scooter), I was approaching an off-ramp from the highway. A truck with "Solartec" on its side was pulling off the highway onto the back road I was on. They were going to have to wait for me to pass but the sun was at my back. I could see the driver squinting into the sun and shading his eyes. He saw me but just barely. He was having a hard time seeing anything!

I could see the angry expression on his face and his mouth was moving and I don't think he was saying kind words about the sun. It's ironic, isn't it? His work depends on the sun or, at least, his work has a lot to do with the sun shining and not being hidden by clouds, but here he was saying bad things about the sun. The sun was OK if it knew its place but how dare it interfere with what he was trying to do. We're all like that. God may be the creator of the Universe and of me but when He asks me to go out of my way to do something, well, that's another story. It's OK if God asks me to go to church on Sunday. But all that other stuff? Love thy neighbor? Love thine enemies? Love somebody at 2 AM?

Lord, help me to not be so self centered. Help me to look at the big picture. Help me to be more accepting.

By the way, the image is from this site.

No comments: