Monday, March 07, 2011

Birthday gifts - part 3

It's time to talk about the gift my daughter got me for my birthday. I previously talked about my 60th birthday here and two of my other gifts here and here. My daughter got me the 1967-1968 volume in The Complete Peanuts series. I've got all the previous volumes. I love this series. I like getting the books one or two at a time because it gives me time to go through them before getting the next one on the series.

I previously blogged about this series here.  One of the things I appreciate about Peanuts is how it still seems so fresh forty years later. I consider Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts, to be a genius. But I wonder if he thought about writing these cartoons with the idea that they would be loved by people in so many different cultures and well into the future? Or did he just write at a level that is universal? Perhaps that's how he did it. I'd think it would be too distracting to be constantly worrying about whether something you just wrote would be appreciated in 40 - 50 years. He would never get anything done if he had to worry about how a certain line would be interpreted in Australia or Russia. I'm just so thankful he did it the way he did it.

[As an aside, it has taken me three days to get the image of the front cover of the book into this post. I don't know what's going on in Blogger. It seems harder to get uploaded images to show up in my posts. I hope to solve this problem soon. It certainly makes it hard to post when I feel inspired. That doesn't happen that often and if I don't do it when I'm inspired, it might never happen!]

2 comments:

Crafts Made By Me said...

And it has to in one book, And that was good that they had The Peanuts books their, and a Peanuts card to.

JED said...

Yes. Having two years in one book is nice. And I really liked the Peanuts card that you picked. Maybe I should scan my birthday cards and show them on the blog, too!