Monday, June 20, 2011

A good Father's Day

I had a very good Father's Day yesterday. And it was more like Father's Weekend because we went out to dinner, at our favorite restaurant The Olive Garden, on Saturday. Their prices have certainly gone up over the years but there is so much food that we end up getting two meals out of a visit.

On Sunday, I got cards, some nice short-sleeved shirts, wool socks (for my walks in the woods when my feet may get wet), a chocolate cake and a special Gumby t-shirt. We love Gumby and have a huge DVD collection of the early shows. We haven't watched them for a while and getting the Gumby shirt was a good excuse to watch some of them again.

The weather was beautiful all week-end so we were finally able to get our garden ready and plant our vegetables. We'll never be mistaken for farmers but it is a lot of fun to watch the plants grow. And nothing tastes as good as vegetables you raise yourself and eat fresh.

I'm the most fortunate man in the world. I had to wait until I was 42 to get married and until I was 44 to be a dad but it was worth the wait. I've got two wonderful children who are willing to overlook my faults and a terrific wife who makes it easy for me to be a dad.

No comments: