Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Isn't it ironic?

I've had fewer posts this month than I normally do (although last month only had five posts) yet according to the Blogger statistics page, this month my blog has had it's highest number of visits ever. And even last month, with its five posts, had the third most visits. Maybe the less I write the better. Or maybe the posts this month have been more interesting or better written. Wouldn't it be nice if my writing was actually improving from my experience here? That would make me very happy. I want to be a better writer. I want to get better at expressing myself. I want to be able to crystallize my thoughts into words that can be recorded and to be easily understood by others.

The title of this post is a play on the title of one of my favorite old standard songs, "Isn't it Romantic?" It was written by Richard Rogers (music) and Lorenz Hart (lyrics) in the early 1930's. I love old standards. They are usually interesting melodies with a flexible rhythm (it's easy to change them into different styles) and the chord choice is almost always pretty complex making them interesting for study. My favorite composers of The Great American Songbook are the Gershwin brothers and Rogers and Hart but there are so many others, too. My wife and I have a special place in our hearts for Meredith Willson for his song "Till There Was You" from The Music Man. We call it our song because it says so much about our love coming after such a long time looking for each other.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

I wonder if it is because you don't write, they keep looking to see if you have done a post without them knowing.