Monday, November 05, 2012

Building a bed - the result

Here's the result of building my daughters bed. I should have taken a picture of just the bed frame. I can't take credit for the nice blanket, comforter or the arrangement of stuffed animals. That is all Emma and my wife Cindy's doing. The headboard is a separate item from IKEA® and I really like it. It was much easier to put together and is very practical. If you click on the picture here, you'll see it better.

I've had headboards in the past that had bookshelves but those were always along the width of the headboard so you had nothing to lean a pillow against for sitting up and reading. This headboard, from the Brimnes collection (the bed frame is from the same collection), has a flat headboard for leaning up against with space for books behind the headboard. You attach the headboard to the wall and then push the bed up against the headboard. There is even a space at the bottom that one of our cats has claimed as his place to hide from the world when he needs a few minutes of solitude.

The designers really thought this through. The shelves (there are shelves at both ends) are adjustable and the top is a nice 10 inch wide surface and has a hole for getting a power cord up to it for lights, radios and whatever. Also, there are four drawers under the bed with a lot of storage. I've put together a lot of things with drawers on sliders but none have worked as well as these. They are easy to move and very sturdy. They don't wobble at all.

If you have the time and the space to spread out the parts as you put it together, I don't think you can go wrong with this bed. The bottom line is that Emma loves it and that's all I need to make me happy.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I'd still like one

JED said...

Yes, that would be nice. Now that I know how to put this together, it should go much faster with less fussing (from me).

Fire-Cat said...

I think you meant to say: Here's the result of building my daughters bed.
Not: Here's the result of my building my daughters bed.
I Helped!

Fire-Cat

JED said...

Maybe you're going to be an editor when you grow up, Fire-Cat! Thank you.