Tuesday, August 28, 2018

I saw it long before it happened

Not the squirrel from my story
 Earlier this summer, at least a month ago, I was riding my scooter into work as usual. I happened to notice the long tree branches arching over this section of the highway and imagined what would happen if squirrels were running along those branches and fell off. Now, squirrels are very sure-footed but things like high winds or other squirrels attacking or chasing them could cause them to lose their footing. So, I had this vision of a squirrel falling off a branch and landing in my lap. What a scene it was as the squirrel panicked and tried to scramble away from me. I imagined that I would try to stop so it could jump off and get safely away.

The more I thought about it, the funnier it seemed. If I'd been in an area where other people were standing by the side of the road, they would have thought it pretty strange that the guy on the scooter was laughing so hard. "What is he laughing at?" they'd probably think. "Should we call someone?"

A few days ago, I was on my scooter riding on another road where long tree branches extend over the road. I first saw a bunch of leaves fall to the road. As I looked up to see if more debris was going to fall, more fell on the road ahead of me. But it wasn't more leaves. It was a squirrel. He had fallen on the road about 15 feet ahead of me and it looked a little stunned. After a second of confusion or catching it's breath, it got its bearings and ran off the road with a lot of scrambling sounds on the pavement.

I don't know what caused this squirrel to fall but there was no wind. So, I'm assuming that another squirrel had been chasing this one. Or may it was evading a hawk. I'll never know but it made me laugh again. Once again I was lucky that no one was around to consider me crazy. Isn't it strange that I would imagine a similar episode a month earlier?

Something I realized later was that my reflexes are a lot better in my daydreams than they are in reality. In this case, I never even slowed down or swerved. Fortunately, the squirrel was not close enough that I would have hurt it. It's another lesson to be looking ahead for problems all the time.