Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The return of Plantar Fasciitis

It's time to tell the whole story about my previous post, "An old choir injury". My foot didn't just start to act up when I stepped up high to get on the stage. I had been having problems with it for a few months and should have known that stretching my foot like that would cause a problem. I just didn't think.

I wrote about my run in with Plantar Fasciitis last year in this post. It took about five months but the pain finally went away and stayed away for over five days. That's my definition of being cured! Well, it's been over a year since I was "cured" and I think anyone would consider themselves cured. It turns out that the inserts I used in my shoes last year were wearing down. My feet started to bother me again. Interestingly, this time it was my right foot that bothered me. Last year it was my left foot. I left the problem go on too long hoping it would just go away (that's my number one method for dealing with trouble). It didn't. It just got worse. Just like last time.

So, I broke down and bought new arch supports for my shoes. I could tell right away they helped but the pain lingered - though not quite as bad. Then I had a thought. Maybe it's partly the old, worn out arch supports and maybe it's the new shoes I bought this spring. And I think that may have been the problem. I've switched the new arch supports into my old shoes and I feel a lot better. I'm still not cured (haven't had five days pain free yet) but it is definitely improving. I started noticing the pain a few months ago (back in September) so we'll see if it takes five months to be "cured" like it did last time.

But no more acrobatic entrances on the stage with the choir, either :-)

No comments: